Varsity Will Face Princeton Sextet

By John R. Adler

With title hopes squelched by Dartmouth's 6-2 victory over Brown Saturday, the varsity sextet can clinch second place in the Ivy League by defeating troublesome Princeton tonight at Watson Rink. Face-off time is 8 p.m.

The Tigers are a peculiar team. They manage to lose to low-calibre teams, then play over their heads against formidable opponents. For example, they lost twice to weak Brown, but scored more goals against powerhouse Michigan State than any Eastern squad, in losing, 7 to 4, during the Christmas tournament at Boston Garden.

Two of their finest efforts were made against Ivy League teams. Yale bowed to the Tigers on their home ice, 3 to 1, and the Crimson was stalemated there two weekends ago, 5 to 5. Princeton will lack tonight the gentlemanly encouragement of its own fans, the security of its dimly-lit rink, and its high boards.

Only Three Seniors

Only three men on the Tiger squad are seniors, and less than half played in last year's 5-0 and 7-2 losses to the varsity, which is probably just as well for the visitors. Captain Mo Cheston and Tom Campbell make an experienced defense pair, and, with flashy sophomore goalie Barry Van Gerbig, should make scoring tough for the Crimson.

With an assortment of experienced and not-so-experienced forwards, Princeton has a number of combinations, but will probably start Pete Cook, John Hill and John McBride on the first trio. The sophomore line is paced by Hugh Scott, the elusive tailback with a hard shot, who skates with Bill Miller and Lance Odden.

Strong Defense

Princeton has only a 3-4-1 record in Ivy competition, but its tight passing and strong defense may give the varsity trouble.

Crimson net-minder Harry Pratt will seek to match his fine Monday night showing against B.U., as will defensemen Dick McLaughlin and Mike Graney. Bud Higginbottom, Dick Fischer and Dave Vietze will start on the first line, seeking to end their scoring famine of the past few games.