Council Opens Monday Meeting On NSA to Any Guest Speakers

The open discussion on NSA "promises to be quite lively, with many interested students speaking on all aspects of the issue," Edward L. Croman '60, President of the Student Council, predicted last night. The meeting, open to the public, will start at 7:15 p.m. on Monday in PBH.

Croman emphasized, "The purpose of this meeting is to consider what action the Council should take on the question of re-entering NSA; I do not want any discussion on past issues, such as whether we should have left it in the first place." He requested all students interested in speaking at the meeting to notify one of the Council officers in advance.

Among the non-Council speakers expected are Paul Sigmund 6G, teaching fellow in Government, Derek T. Winans '60, and Willard Johnson, International vice-President of NSA.

Winans said yesterday that he plans to ask the Council to "issue a statement declaring it does not approve of any use of its NSA report against that organization." He explained, "many reactionary and segregationist groups in the South, particularly at the University of Florida, have used the findings of this report maliciously in attacks on NSA's prointegration stand."

Tim H. Zagat, Jr. '61, vice-President of the Council, remarked, "NSA has made many changes which we suggested in our report, such as limiting to 35 the number of resolutions to be considered each day."

The NSA referendum in the fall bound the Council not to rejoin until this September. Most members of the Council feel that observers should be sent to this summer's convention, however.

The Council may vote at the end of Monday's meeting on a resolution to send observers, but Croman insisted, "No hasty decision will be made; we will not vote unless members feel that the issue has been debated fully."