Swimming Team Fetes Ulen

One hundred and twenty-five men who have swum for the College in the last 30 years honored their retired coach and friend, Harold Ulen, at a dinner at the Harvard Club of Boston, Saturday.

Ulen, who thought the dinner was to be only a Swimming Banquet, received a gift of $2,700 in addition to an award from the Red Cross and a voluminous scrap book containing letters of reminiscence from many of those he coached while at Harvard.

The dinner, a happy occasion for Ulen, who has been immobilized recently with bursitis, was a fitting finale to the career of a man who led his teams to an overall 225-44 record. The mentor, who came to Harvard from Syracuse in 1929, is the fourth man ever to coach swimming in collegiate circles for more than 40 years.

John S. Hammond '59, this year's captain, organizer and toastmaster of the dinner, invited all graduates who had competed under Ulen, as well as the swimming coaches from the other Ivy League colleges. Fourteen swimming captains attended, and three of them, Edward E. Stowell '34, Charles T. Hunter '38, and Robert N. Berke '51, spoke about their experiences working with the coach.

The most amusing speech of the evening came as Dutch Holland of the Red Cross gave Ulen a citation and medal for his many years as an instructor of life-saving. He recalled Ulen's old habit of giving his swimmers a potion resembling castor oil before each race.