Rugby Squad Beats Yale, 8-6

Despite a raft of injuries and vicious Yale defense, an improved Crimson rugby team edged the Elis 8 to 6 in New Haven Saturday, in an effort to salvage a disappointing season.

The club looked far more experienced and poised than in previous games, although it almost handed the match to Yale with two completely unnecessary penalties. The Bulldogs took advantage of what has lately been characteristic of the Crimson squad, as they picked up all their points from Crimson offsides and "foot up in the scrum."

Down 6 to 5 going into the last five minutes of the contest, the Crimson rallied when center David Holmes punted over the Yale three quarters line to their 35. In the resulting scrum, the ball was heeled back to scrum half Jack Butterfield, who immediately flipped it out to Holmes.

Holmes then cut through the Bulldog line and, as he was tackled, passed out to Charlie Rowe, who ran the remaining yards for the try, completing one of the most classic three quarter movements of the year.

The first Crimson score came in the opening minutes of the second half, when fly half Chris Hauge took a Butterfield pass and raced 15 yards to the goal line. Graham Russell, the team's best kicker, then booted the ball through the uprights for two more points.

Throughout the game the Yale tackling was magnificent, by far the best of any of the Crimson's other opponents. One Eli managed to break captain Hal Churchill's nose on a particularly hard stop. The Crimson played the entire second half with only 14 men, as forward Bob Shaunessey left the game early with a separated shoulder.