Faculty Approves New '63 Program

Votes One Year Limit to Initial Experiment

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday voted by a clear-cut majority to allow a limited number of freshmen to participate in "experiments designed to intensify the intellectual experience of the freshman year." These members of the Class of 1963--probably numbering up to one-tenth of the Class--will receive course credit for their work.

The proposal, which was moved by Dean Bundy for the Committee on Educational Policy, was reportedly "rather vague," and it was indicated that the direction which the experiment takes will depend in large measure on the Faculty members who participate in it.

Several reports indicate the Administration feels assured that funds are not lacking for the freshman year project. Another reason given for the easy passage of the motion was the short, one year time limit proposed, which "leaves the Faculty in control."

Proposal Called Vague

One objection to the proposal allegedly was its vagueness, another its possible effect on the General Education program. Several Faculty members said they feared the freshman experiment would "take many of the good people out of sections."

According to reports of the Faculty meeting yesterday, it remains to be determined whether the one-year experiment will be aimed toward developing a program which would apply to the entire freshman class, or remain "elitist" in nature.

Indications were clear that a sizable percentage of the Faculty does not feel that all freshmen are sufficiently challenged by the curriculum, and comments showed that there were hopes for more personal Faculty-freshman contact. The freshman advising system was not mentioned at the meeting yesterday.