Give an Inch

The Harvard CRIMSON, January 17, 1893

For several years it has been the desire of the Harvard Annex to become a part of the University, but the question of financial endowment has thus far been the chief obstacle.... The reasons for this closer union of the Annex and the University have been clearly stated by Mrs. Agassiz in a letter to the last Nation. They are first, "that the existence of the Annex and its present course of study may be permanently insured to the students;" second, "that the students of the Annex should have freer use of the library and other educational facilities belonging to the University than they now enjoy;" and third, "that the students should receive their degrees from the University."

These are the reasons advanced by the Women's Education Association for the union of the Annex and the University and they are certainly sound and important. It would be difficult to state just how such a union would be viewed by undergraduates. The idea of a co-educational college like those of the West probably first comes to mind, but such a change in the college would probably not happen....

But every fair minded undergraduate, recognizing the work and needs of the Annex, would sympathize with any movement tending to improve its facilities. The work that it has been accomplishing, the increasing number of students and the annual enlargement of its curriculum indicate that the Annex has fast been pushing to the front among our colleges for women. If, by joining the Annex to the University we can advance the cause of broader and more liberal education for women and can place that part of the college in the fore most rank of women's colleges, it is our part to do so.