Tobacco Shop Smoke Attracts 25 Firemen Attracts 25 Firemen

Six companies of firetrucks with 25 men blocked off Mass. Ave. for an hour yesterday morning fighting a small fire in the basement of Leavitt and Peirce. Firemen clambered all over the buildings opposite Wigglesworth although the blaze was confined to the cellar.

Greatest casualty of the fire was an estimated $8500 worth of cigar and tobacco products of the famed tobacconists, since the Pure Food and Drug Act forbids sale of any products possibly contaminated by smoke. Bolter & Co., adjoining Leavitt and Peirce reported no damage despite the heavy outpouring of smoke.

Cause of the fire was a defective shutoff valve in the oil burner which failed to function, causing the overflowing oil to ignite in the pit. Deputy Fire Chief Vincent Galvin declared, "It could have been a dangerous situation if it got out of the boiler room."

Primary piece of equipment used to combat the fire was a high pressure fog system which pumped water under 800 pounds pressure. The two ladder trucks were in order to open skylights.