Plans for Non-Honors Tutorial Remain Vague

By Victoria Thompson

Despite continued discussion, members of the Administration and House Masters have not yet agreed on a general plan for non-Honors tutorial in the Junior and Senior years. Dean Bundy recently indicated that establishment of such a program by next Fall is an "unlikely" prospect.

In a report last Spring, the Committee on Educational Policy recommended voluntary tutorial for non-Honors students in all departments. Although the Administration and the House Masters agree in general that non-Honors tutorial would be valuable, implementation of any large-scale plan by either the Houses or the Departments still seems far in the future.

Departments Discuss Possibilities

The History Department has considered several proposals this year, among them a plan of forming voluntary groups of non-Honors students for informal discussions of general topics.

According to Seymour E. Harris '20, chairman of the Economics Department, there has been some discussion of non-Honors Economics tutorial, but no conclusions have been reached. "At the present time," Harris said recently, "there is no thought of change." The Department of Social Relations "may discuss" a non-Honors tutorial, Robert W. White, chairman of the Department stated, but there is little likelihood of change by the Fall.

English, the only field with required non-Honors tutorial for Juniors, plans to retain its system next year. The value of the program was strongly endorsed last Spring by all tutors in the Department.

Houses May Offer Program

The Masters are also discussing the possibility of instituting voluntary non-Honors tutorial within the Houses. There would be difficulty, however, in coordinating such a system with the various departmental programs, David E. Owen, Master of Winthrop House, has pointed out.

Other suggestions include a voluntary tutorial set up as a half-course extending throughout the year, and compulsory tutorial with a general examination at the end of the Senior year.