Deadlocked Geneva Negotiations Over Berlin Go Into Fifth Week; German Urges Move to Summit

By The ASSOCIATED Press

GENEVA, June 7--The Big Four Sunday faced the fifth week of negotiation deadlocked over the future of Berlin but still convinced summit talks will be held. By general admission the foreign ministers' secret exchanges have reached a point of crisis.

Andrei Gromyko, the Soviet foreign minister, seems to have yielded scarcely an inch to make a stopgap, face-saving Berlin solution possible. Secretary of State Christian A. Herter of the United States, Foreign Secretary Selwyn Lloyd of Britain and Foreign Minister Maurice Couve de Murville of France have stood firm on their starting positions.

Nevertheless, no breakdown of the conference is foreseen. The crisis seems to be one essentially of tactics.

Lloyd summed up the mood of the conference Friday when he told confidants: "It would be wrong to claim progress on Berlin. But I have a feeling in my bones that we will get an agreement of sorts in the end--maybe a small one but enough to take us to the summit."

East Germans Seek Summit Talks

BERLIN, Eastern Sector, June 7--"The issues of Berlin and Germany can only be solved at the summit," chief information officer of the East German Communist government Stefan Heymann said today.

"There can be no concrete agreement of any kind in Geneva. Perhaps there may be some understanding of the broad outlines of an agenda for discussion of the problems of Berlin and Germany at the summit conference," he said.

Heymann declared, however, that he believed the East Germans had already achieved their objective at the Geneva conference. He reiterated that the East German government would not accept any proposal which involved moving the East German capital out of East Berlin.