Pusey Decries Inability To Speak Easily of God

"The finest fruit of serious learning should be the ability to speak the word God without reserve or embarassment," President Pusey told the graduating class yesterday in his annual Baccalaureate Address at Memorial Church.

Pusey called for a reinclusion in conversation of the subject of God. "The subject is much less frequent and less easy in our conversation than it appears to have been to those who were here before us a hundred, two hundred, or three hundred years ago." He asserted that it "becomes man to worship."

The disappearance of the subject of 'moral character' also concerned President Pusey. "The term is suspect. We have learned too much about human motives." He stated that today we tend to distrust apparent virtue, and that it almost ceases to inspire us.

However, despite outward manifestations to the contrary, we have not all ceased to care, Pusey contended. He cited the standards of the scholar--"his vision of something beyond the tawdry and broken"--as something that still continues to impress us.

Traces Traditional Course

In the earlier portions of his address President Pusey traced the development of the course in moral philosophy through the older universities of America, and posed the question, "Where in our college has this course gone?" He expressed the belief that although we no longer have the formal course in moral philosophy, taught in the old days by the president of the university himself to the members of the senior class, all the students and professors together teach it.

Pusey concluded with the hope that "no one's experience of Harvard shall have been destitute of 'sacramental experience,'" the experience of insight.