Hurricane Gracie Hits S.C. Coast Causing Heavy Damage, 1 Death; Russians Boycott U.N. Session

By The ASSOCIATED Press

CHARLESTON, S.C., Sept. 29--Slashing across the South Carolina coast with peak winds estimated at 140 miles an hour, Hurricane Gracie swirled inland Tuesday night.

The big storm battered the sprawling lowland farming area and dumped a deluge of water which threatened floods on a dozen rivers. Flash floods were expected on smaller streams.

Gracie struck a mighty blow at this old port city and along the coastline from Savannah, Ga., to Myrtle Beach, S.C.

One man was killed during the storm in an automobile upset near Beaufort, S.C.

In its 5 p.m. advisory, the Weather Bureau said the storm's movement had slowed to 12 m.p.h. with its center near Orangeburg, about 75 miles inland from Charleston. The Weather Bureau said its movement was north-northwest, putting Columbia and Charlotte, N.C., in its path.

Soviet Delegation Stages U.N. Walkout

UNITED NATIONS, N.Y., Sept. 29--A mass Soviet block walkout in the U.N. General Assembly Tuesday set the stage for bitter debate on charges that Communist China is trying to destroy the Tibetan people's way of life.

Members of the Soviet delegation and its eight satellites left the Assembly just before the speech of T. F. Tsiang, the Nationalist Chinese ambassador.

The Assembly's 21-nation Steering Committee was expected to act, probably Wednesday, on the request of Ireland and Malaya to put the Tibetan issue before the Assembly for full-scale debate.

The Soviet walkout indicated a strong fight in the committee.

Khrushchev Leaves for Red China

TOKYO, Sept. 29--Red China expressed delight at the results of Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev's American tour and readied a welcome for him in Peiping Wednesday.

The Soviet Premier left Moscow by air for the 10th anniversary of his most powerful Asian ally, to be celebrated Thursday.