Soviet Students to Visit Cambridge

Fulfill Cultural Exchange

By Peter J. Rothenberg

Twelve Russian students will visit the University for several days next month as part of a Soviet-American cultural exchange program. The twelve, half of a twenty-four man delegation spending a month in the United States, will be in Cambridge from October 28 to November 4.

The group, accompanied throughout their stay by three Russian-speaking American guides, is scheduled to arrive in New York October 26 and to arrive in Cambridge two days later. According to Clarence Falk, Incoming Program Director of the Experiment in International Living, which is arranging the tour, the purpose of the visit in this area is to enable the Russians to "meet with students and sample American college life."

Under Reciprocal Program

This program comes under a reciprocal exchange agreement between the Soviet Youth Organization and the Council on Student Travel. The Experiment, as one of the members of the Council and as sponsor of an American student tour of Russia the past two summers, is supervising the travels of half of the Soviet delegation. The Committee on Friendly Relations is in charge of the other half of the student group.

In addition to the week to be spent in Cambridge, where M.I.T. will be toured as well as Harvard, the Experiment's group of Russians will live with rural families in upper New York state and will visit Philadelphia, Washington and New York City. In Philadelphia, the emphasis will be an American labor and labor unions, while in the other cities the Soviet students will be chiefly tourists.

The group under the supervision of the Committee on Friendly Relations will spend much of its time in the Middle West and will not visit New England at all.