Today and Always

The Classgoer

This year it will all be different, they say. Long afternoons at Lamont. Remember Tom Wolfe burning in the night? Finally to know something; to sprinkle more pebbles on the sandy beach. And so.

9:00

Only the very good and the very brave get up at nine. And only they would take Slavic Aab (Sever 20), two terms of Russian somehow jammed into one. Other-directed linguists can attend Comp Lit 157 (Sever 8), where Professor Hatfield examines German Drama from Gleist to the Expressionists in the European context. The course is restricted to those who read German, but who doesn't?

Some chaps insist on speaking English before 10 o'clock coffee; for them there is still much to do. Philhellenics (there are many) can meet at Harvard 1 to hear Professor Wade-Gery's views on the Greek Renaissance and Archaic Greek, History 106. And next door in Harvard 3, Professor Pipes pre-dates the "We will bury you" era with History 155, Russia to the end of the Eighteenth Century.

10:00

Occasionally (although not always at 10 o'clock) everybody thinks about society. For those whose time is now, there is Social Relations 180, Social Pathology and Social Control (Emerson H). Here, T.M. Mills considers delinquency, suicide and the like--their cause and their cure. And to the student whose ultimate concern is differently oriented, Professor Fleming presents History 167, the History of Science in America (Harvard 2). The course begins tamely, with Seventeenth Century developments, and mushrooms into the present.

Two years ago, legends were many about James Rowland Ware's Chinese 10. He is back this year with Chinese 30, a study of Chinese literature in translation (Room 130, 2 Divinity Avenue).

11:00

For anyone who hasn't heard, Mr. Edmund Wilson is teaching at Harvard this year. He is lecturing on the literature of the Civil War. The Class meets at Longfellow Alumnae.

But there are others. For instance, Johann Sebastian Bach, whom students can hear during much of the hour devoted to Music 10 (Music Building 2). The course is taught by Wallace Woodworth and titled, oddly enough, The Music of J.S. Bach. Over at 2 Divinity Avenue, Professors Reischauer and Fairbanks introduce the novitiate to Far Eastern History, in Soc Sci 111.

If the itinerant historian wants to move further west, he can hear Associate Professors Hoffman and Wahl explain French thought, institutions, and social structure since the Revolution (Sever 36); or he can sit while Oscar Handlin covers American Economic History. But on Monday, both lecture halls almost became condensed versions of the IRT.

12:00

Some places, people dine at noon; in Cambridge, it is the hour of decision. In this case, one man's steak is another man's roast beef. Arthur Schlesinger's History 169 (Room 18, 2 Divinity Avenue, Harry Levin's English 126 (Harvard 4), and Perry Miller's Hum 111 (Sever 18) are the competing extravaganzas.