HSWC Will Hunt Sharks for Research

When the Harvard Salt Water Club takes to the sea this spring its target will be no less than blue sharks. The reason for the big game effort is to provide rare shark bile for research in bio-chemistry.

The researcher is Louis F. Fieser, Sheldon Emery Professor of Organic Chemistry, and the HSWC seems to be the only place from which he can obtain the bile. Earlier, Fieser had been forced to go out and catch his own shark when his request to Marineland Aquarium in Florida netted the reply that they could not find the gall bladder.

The salt water fisherman will be trying to catch sharks similar to the seven-foot blue which Fieser landed off Cape Cod after a nip-and-tuck battle for several hours.

In a play for the smaller catch, the Club's secretary, Peter J. Enderlin '61 is investigating an electronic method in which fish are attracted by electrical impulse. Discovered by a German scientist named Kreutzer, to whom Enderlin has written for advice, the system utilizes the finding that fish emit and are attracted by characteristic signals, similar to bird calls. The Club hopes to land tuna by this method.