Move to Extend Parietals At Radcliffe Meets Apathy

Critics Note Lack of Facilities

Massive indifference has greeted a recent proposal for regular parietal hours Radcliffe.

Describing a reaction that seems to be general throughout the College, one mad resident said, "They seem to think it's more of a bother than a pleasure."

Advocates of Radcliffe parietals have urged extension of the twice-yearly "open" an house to once- or twice-weekly permission to have male guests in dormitory rooms.

The major objection to the plan centers about the inconvenience of enterning men in Radcliffe rooms, which are quite small and sparsely furnished compiled to suites in the Harvard Houses. As one 'Cliffie put it, "One doesn't normally think of entertaining in one's bedroom."

Many girls pointed out, also, that bathrooms on the dormitory floors are public. As 'Cliffies complained, too, that the absence of men would inhibit their customary activity of walking the halls in . Others argued that regular would necesitate more frequent inspections, already a weekly discipline in most Radcliffe residences.

Oppose Wednesday Open Hours

The idea of regular Wednesday night pareitals, which was urged in a CRIMSON tutorial, met with widespread opposition, and many girls indicated that if the proposal had any chance at all, it would be for Sunday afternoons only. Others suggested that the open house be to once a month.

If the hours are granted, many 'Cliffies hoped that they would be permitted to use their room doors when they entertained. Under the present system, doors must be kept open.

In a recent Radcliffe Board of Hall residents meeting, several representatives proposed that each residence unit would be allowed to vote on the proposal individually, because of the differing physical setup in the dormitories.

Frances R. Brown, Radcliffe Dean of residence and Student Affairs, has said at the Administration would consider the parietals proposal seriously if there are sufficient student interest.

Oppose Wednesday Open Hours