Cliffies Cite Loss of Items Worth $1200

Cambridge police are investigating thefts of more than $1200 worth of valuables allegedly taken from three Radcliffe dormitories during the summer. According to the girls involved, most of the were taken from padlocked wooden storage boxes left in the dormitory rooms.

Although usually locked during the summer all the dorms must be opened some time for necessary repairs, Ralph Gates, Radcliffe Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, pointed out. There are no locks on individual rooms within the buildings.

girls in Barnard and Cabot Halls in Henry House have reported thefts . Items missing range from $50 worth of shoes to a suitcase of sweaters at nearly $250. Four typewriters, three phonographs, and $180 worth of jewelry are also missing.

Radcliffe assumes no responsibility any items left in the College at any ," Gates said. Although the school not provide locked storage rooms, does its best" to keep track of any left over the summer and urges to safeguard their belongings they can, he added.

Only one girl reported damage to her box. In other cases the locks to have been picked.

student pointed out that one key usually open several padlocks of the generally used. She noted that the robber had left behind such a key. girl surmised that the hinges on back of her locker had been .