Police Effect Parking Ban Near Houses

The Masters have decided to enforce one urgent parking restriction in the House area, but have tabled action on determining a definite answer to the whole parking situation, according to Charles P. Whitlock, Assistant to the President for Civic Affairs.

No parking will be allowed at any time on one side of Mill St., effective immediately. The University Police, after an agreement with the City of Cambridge, will enforce the ruling.

Parking has always been legal on only one side of Mill St., but city police have seldom patrolled the area to tag cars. University Police were formerly unable to enforce restrictions on city streets, except by special agreement between 2 and 6 a.m.

Because fire apparatus was unable to pass through the street with cars parked on both sides, the Masters gave prompt attention to the recommendation.

Action on deciding the future of parking in the entire vicinity of the Houses was delayed partly because of Student Council pleas for a suitable alternative. The Masters must also study projected plans to change the face of the House area, Whitlock added. The University hopes to eliminate all parking in the congested area and then to close off the area completely, possibly in the style of a second Yard.

Whitlock, who met with the Masters, claimed that the new restriction will not create a noticeable excess of student automobiles without a place to park.