Academicians Create Nixon 'Brain Trust'

Several professors supporting vice-President Nixon will probably remain as advisors to the Republican Party regardless of the outcome Election Day, according to the chairman of the group, a Harvard Law School professor.

Lon L. Fuller, Carter Professor of General Jurisprudence, said yesterday that "Scholars for Nixon" is the first stage of what will eventually evolve into an advisory board similar to the Democrats' "brain trusts."

If such a group, which is presently little more than a list of intellectuals endorsing Nixon, becomes a permanent advisory organ in the GOP, it will be the first move by the Republicans recently toward enlisting academic help.

Whether Fuller, a traditional Democrat who has admired Nixon for two years now, will remain active on such a group is another story. Fuller said that he has aligned himself with Nixon--not necessarily his party--for the duration of the campaign.

"If the Democrats come up with another platform like the 1960 one, I'll stay with the Republicans," he added.

The chairman of the "Scholars" attributed the growth of the organization to concern by the professors themselves, by Nixon, and by the Republican National Committee, that the party was not making sufficient use of the academic community in this administration.

A brochure distributed by the scholars states that they took up the Nixon cause when they were assured that he would "rely upon and make persistent use of America's best minds--irrespective of party or political affiliation."