Head Residents Agree on Report

Two Radcliffe Head Residents have indicated substantial agreement with the charge of a recent Student Council report that the 'Cliffe lacks the intellectual atmosphere provided at Harvard by the House system.

Mrs. Donald R. Brown, Head Resident at Comstock Hall, maintained that 'Cliffies do not get the opportunity for the informal association with faculty members allowed under the House system. She felt, however, that a lack of facilities and the relatively remote location of Radcliffe made any solution to the problem difficult.

Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Daisy N. Newman '26, Head Resident of Holmes Hall, disagreed on the report's charge that the 'Cliffe halls take the less active role in the House-hall affiliation system. Mrs. Newman maintained that the activities are "divided fairly evenly" between her hall and Quincy House, while Mrs. Brown agreed with the Council's allegation, stating that Comstock is less active in the system than its affiliate Winthrop House.

Although both women felt that it would be difficult to find a remedy for the deficiencies in Radcliffe's intellectual life. Mrs. Newman thought that the tutorial system could be grafted onto the present hall system. She suggested that the college could take over facilities near the quadrangle for housing tutors.