Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Harkness Mural Ruined by Heat

Heat and humidity have irremediably damaged Mural at Harkness Commons, a controversial painting by Joan Miro which hung on the west wall of the Graduate Center's cafeteria until several weeks ago. At that time it was surreptitiously removed to Fogg Art Museum.

According to L. Gard Wiggins, Administrative Vice President, the artist himself first observed the deleterious effects which a radiator below the mural had caused. While on a visit to the University several months ago, Miro was shocked to find his masterpiece fast approaching a state of ruin.

Disappointment is in store for those unenlightened students who may be rejoicing at the removal of the 6 ft., 2 1/4 in. by 19 ft., 5 1/2 in. configuration of weirdly shaped forms. Miro has generously offered to do a ceramic rendition of the same subject at his own cost.

University officials, however, have encountered a difficulty which makes dates for completition of the new version indefinite, Wiggins stated. Passage from Spain to the U.S. must be arranged for the understudy whom Miro wishes to erect the ceramic base for the mural.

One student described the painting as "appropriate for an evil child's nursery." Such a remark could once have been the opening for a raucous argument on the merits of modern art. But, until the understudy arrives, life at Harkness, alas, will be bleak.