Fraternity Men Sneak by Police, Mail Gift to 'Brother' Goldwater

Police intervention and failure to obtain a city parade permit nearly crippled the Iota Beta Phi Fraternity demonstration yesterday, but the group's crimson-colored paddle is now safety on its way to Honorary Grand Wizard Sen. Barry Goldwater.

The student organization, formed to combat the leftist tendencies which Goldwater maintained exist at non-fraternity colleges, originally planned to parade to the post-office, waving signs proclaiming, "Boy, Do We Have Faith" and "Rights for the Rights."

When the group of 15 congregated at Bow and Plympton Sts. at 2:45 p.m., however, it was met by a contingent of Cambridge and University police. After being warned ("It'll be too bad for you're guys if you don't break up"), the students threw their placards in an alley and sneaked, paddle in hand, toward the post office.

The titular leader of the fraternity, Nicholas B. Soutter '63, expressed disappointment at the fate of his demonstration, but he supported the official intervention and maintained that "the Cambridge police are the bastion of American strength."

On reaching the post office, the students were met by two local policemen. A small contingent of the fraternity hurriedly collected 39 cents for postage and rushed inside, while the remainder of the group scattered in front of the building on Mt. Auburn St.

After mailing their gift, the fraternity members drifted back toward their starting point, singing "God Bless America," They tried to retrieve their posters, but all had mysteriously disappeared except for one reading "Radical Punks for Gold water."