Nelson Receives Football Award

James A. Nelson '61, Crimson fullback of Quincy House and Cherokee, Iowa, yesterday received the Senior Achievement Award at a special luncheon in Boston.

Nelson was awarded an inscribed silver bowl, "given (annually) by the Boston football writers, radio, and television men to the New England college football senior, whose achievement on and off the gridiron was considered most outstanding."

Two other awards were made. Yale mentor Jordan Olivar was named coach of the year, and Holy Cross coach Dr. Eddie received the George .

The George Carens Award is given annually to the man who has made the most important contributions to the game of football, in the opinion of the Boston commentators and writers. Last year the award went to Crimson trainer Jack Fadden, who also trains for the Boston Red Sox.

As a junior, Nelson ran the ball only one time on offense, and earned a reputation as a defensive only. This year Nelson surprised everybody, grabbing the starting berth is early season practice. One Boston paper ran his story; "Jim Nelson: From Stand-in to Stand-out."