Basketball Team Will Face M.I.T.

Perhaps tonight's Harvard-M.I.T. basketball game will produce some excitement. Last December, the varsity bombed the Engineers, 84 to 34, in one of the worst basketball games ever played; but the word is that M.I.T. has made strides.

Game time for the varsity contest is 8:15 p.m. in the I.A.B. The Yardling five will open its season at 6:15 p.m.

Two 6 ft., 5 in, operatives from Wichita, Kan., Dave and Bill Koch, should put some life in the M.I.T. varsity's attack. Dave Koch was the closest thing the Engineers had to a star last winter, but he was out of action during the second half of the season.

Co-captain Chuck Gamble, a 5 ft., 9 in. guard, adds some outside punch to the Engineers offense, and is the leading playmaker. With another big man (by Eastern standards) in 6 ft., 4 in. Bill Weber, a sophomore from Buenos Aires, the Techmen should be able to match the Crimson under the boards.

Forward Gary Borchard will lead the varsity attack. After a rocky six-point performance against Bowdoin, Borchard scored 34 points in his next two games to recapture his customary place stop the Crimson scoring lists with a 13.3 average. Captain Bob Bowditch has hit for 11.3 points per contest, and Joe Deering has averaged 11 markers.

Three sophomores have also been impressive for the Crimson. Denny Lynch is fourth among the scorers with nine points per game, and Pete Kelley has done some strong rebounding. Vern Strand came on in the Brandeis game and tallied 10 points on five out of six floor shots, hooking right and left with equal dexterity.