So Is the Bomb

In order to gain attention, do the odd. This is an old and, for intellectuals, a disturbing rule of politics. Even for good reasons, doing the odd means walking a thin line between ridicule and admiration.

Because it sees "the accelerating arms race" leading swiftly to the last war, because it senses "viable alternatives," and because it challenges students to explore "unilateral initiatives," Tocsin is on the sidewalks this morning--walking.

From breakfast until dusk the Tocsin group will walk, carrying sign, wearing arm-bands of blue. At Harvard especially, such walking is odd. But Tocsin knows it is, and because their goal is good, the group is willing to walk that thin line.

Already students are showing admiration and support. Over 600, reportedly, will wear arm-bands from breakfast on, and others, surely will don them later. The walk, however, is just a device for gaining attention, and the real business will be done in the evening, 8 p.m. at Quincy House, when Professor Beer will speak. Arm-bands and "unilateral initiatives" are out of the ordinary, but then, so is the bomb.