THE MORE THINGS CHANGE...

From the Closet

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Permit me to direct your attention to a situation which affects at least ninety per cent of the student body...I refer to the heating and ventilating of Upper Widener. With a conscientiousness altogether in excess of the results achieved, the authorities or powers that be maintain throughout the library a temperature of seventyeight degrees Fahrenhelt. This every one knows is ten degress more than the maximum for comfortable living. Why it is considered permissible in the library I cannot imagine. Yet the fact remains: it is...

I am myself an avowed fresh air fiend. My opinions on the subject may consequently be a trifle over hearty. But certainly no one will deny that the situation in the library is not ideal--is, in fact, deplorably otherwise. It is literally impossible for me to study in the Reading Room, and a few nights ago I had an opportunity of observing at least one gentleman who is evidently in the some unfortunate position: during the three quarters of an hour in which I strove to read, he slept soundly and somewhat heavily in his chair, and was still asleep when I finally gave up and left in disgust... Varian Fry '30   Harvard CRIMSON, January 13, 1928