Sextet Conquers Colgate, Cornell

The hockey team added two more wins to its season total this weekend, trouncing Cornell and Colgate by 3-1 and 4-1 margins, respectively.

Friday's game at Ithaca opened the Crimson's Ivy League schedule. Now ranked fourth in the East by the New England press, the sextet will play its next game Wednesday against a crack Boston College varsity, and will meet Dartmouth Saturday in its second Ivy contest.

Coach Cooney Weiland's skaters had little difficulty with either team this weekend.

Against Cornell, the Crimson scored twice in the second period, both times with Big Red players off the ice on penalties, to break a 1-1 deadlock. Next afternoon at Colgate, the varsity coasted to a 4-0 lead before a Raider wing tallied his team's lone goal after taking a pass from his center on an offensive zone face-off.

Bob Anderson made the Crimson's first score in the Cornell game. Taking a pass from Dave Morse, Anderson shot the puck past sophomore goalie Laing Kennedy at 1:41 of the opening period. The Big Red's sophomore Pete Clark evened the count with a breakaway goal just after the beginning of the second period, on assists from Bob McKee and Harvey Edson.

Crocker Snow and Harry Howell put the game away for the Crimson with goals later in the same period, however. Snow's came at 5:29 on a pass from Howell, who added one of his own at 8:22. Bill Beckett had an assist on the last goal. During the game, the Crimson outshot Cornell, 41 to 20.

A minor injury sustained in the Cornell game prevented Howell from playing the next day against Colgate. During the first period of Saturday's game, Jerry Jorgenson took Dave Crosby's place as center for Snow and Stu Forbes, and Crosby dropped back to defense. After the second period, Crosby returned to his regular position, Jorgenson moved to second-line center, and Dave Grannis took over for the absent Howell.

Sextet Scores Early

The Crimson jumped to an early lead on Tom Heintsman's tally at 4:33 of the first period, after passes from Dean Alpine and Ted Ingalls. The best play of the day, however, was Harvard's next: a pass from Crosby, who brought the puck in from the left and pulled Colgate goalie Terry Connolly completely out of position, to Snow, who scored his second goal of the trip, at 9:47 of the second period.

Dave Johnston brought the Crimson's lead to 3-0 at 12.03 on a shot from well out toward the blue line after passes from Heintzman and Alpine. Morse added the varsity's final tally early in the final period. Jorgenson had an assist on the play.

George Benz scored Colgate's only goal at 5:59. The center who passed him the puck was Art Rice.

The Freshman and J.V. team also posted victories over the weekend.