Students to Meet On Peace Corps

By Steven V. Roberts

Possible on-campus Peace Corps programs will be under discussion this afternoon at a meeting between Boston college students and Peace Corps representatives.

The meeting will conclude a day-long conference to inform college officials, students, and other interested persons in the area as to the progress and present state of the Corps. It is one of 14 similar conferences being held throughout the country.

Dean Monro, who was instrumental in arranging University sponsorship of the Peace Corps mission to Nigeria, gives the opening address of the conference at the Statler Hilton Hotel this morning.

The Corps is seeking to develop the campus activities to satisfy numerous conquests from colleges throughout the country, William A. Delano, counsel to the organization, told college editors at the press conference with Corps officials yesterday.

Delano asked the student writers for many ideas they might have. He promised is stuff would give them "all the help you need" by sending to their schools in area representative armed with literature.

Ohio State Study Groups

The lawyer noted that Ohio State has established several student-Faculty study groups on its campus, and has begun similar ones at other Ohio colleges. The Corps is currently developing plans for the "model campus group" to serve as a side to local organizers, Delano said. Lack of manpower and time has been delaying the project, though, he commented.

In answer to another to another question, Joseph Kaufman, the Deputy Assistant Director of Volunteers, re-affirmed the nonpolitical nature of the Peace Corps and the primary function of service.

Kaufman attributed the recent cut of 10 million in the Corps' appropriation to natural converatism on foreign aid," and denied that forces wanting to make the Corps "another weapon in the cold war" had gained any ground.