Faculty Will Discuss NDEA Clause Today; Likely to Stand Firm

Robert G. McCloskey, professor of Government, believes the Faculty "will probably stick to its opinion" when it meets at 4 p.m. this afternoon to reconsider the University's two year old decision to refuse funds from the National Defense Education Act.

In September, 1959, the Faculty voted overwhelmingly to refuse $250,000 annually in Federal loan funds because of the disclaimer affidavit provisions of the Act.

The provision requires that any person accepting funds file an affidavit disclaiming belief, membership in, and support of "any organization that believes in or teaches the overthrow of the United States Government by force or violence, or by any illegal or unconstitutional methods."

"Price We Must Pay . . ."

McCloskey's prediction echoed views given last week by many of the College's administrators. "Although it will hurt the University to continue to refuse the funds," McCloskey maintained, "it is a price we can and must pay."

McCloskey also warned about the danger of "not deciding the issue on its own merits." He stressed that the Faculty must base its decision primarily on the moral question of the disclaimer affidavit.

Although the issue is part of the general concern about government interference in future educational programs, McCloskey declared, it is undesirable to subordinate the moral problem involved in this particular Act.