Four Ivy Teams Win First Games Saturday

THE SPORTING SCENE

All Ivy teams except for Harvard, Brown, and Princeton opened their seasons successfully Saturday.

Columbia initiated the Ivy season by overpowering Brown, 50 to 0, in Providence. Quarterback Tom Vasell and company proved that they will be more than just a "dark horse" this year.

Cornell, Harvard's opponent this Saturday, turned in an impressive performance in overcoming Colgate, 34 to 0. The "lonely end" offense of rookie coach Tom Harp paid off, with the highly-touted Big Red backfield proving its worth.

The first-string backfield is loaded with talent: quarterback Dave McKelvey, halfbacks George Tolesh and Marcy Tino, and fullback Ken Kavensky--all seniors. Harvard scout Paul McKee reported that Cornell is "absolutely teric. We won't see any better team in Cambridge this fall."

It was learned last night that Harvard's first-string center Dave Nyhan will miss the Cornell game because of a knee injury.

Cornell is one of the title favorites along with Yale and Dartmouth. The Bulldogs handled Connecticut Saturday, 18 to 0, and the Indians trounced New Hampshire, as expected, 28 to 3.

Penn Beats Lafayette

Penn recovered from the loss of tailback Porter Shreve and beat Lafayette, 14 to 0. (Shreve was injured two weeks ago.)

As expected, Princeton lost to Rutgers, though the score was close: 16 to 13.

This week the soccer team opens its season. On Wednesday, the varsity plays at Tufts at 3 p.m., and on Saturday it encounters Cornell at 11 a.m. on Soldiers Field.