Dunster Takes Soccer Crown

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Nov. 24--Playing soccer on wet grass in gym shoes is like trying to eat soup with a fork--it doesn't work too well. But Dunster still managed to eke out a 2-0 victory over Branford, Yale's intra-mural soccer champion.

The game included the best slides of the season and occasionally there was even some good soccer.

Branford completely dominated the first half of play as the ball hovered around the Dunster goal for almost the entire period. Dunster was out-hustled and out-classed but at the end of the half Dunster led 1-0. It was just that type of game.

The shutout was due largely to the efforts of Dunster fullbacks Sidney Weber and Chip Engel. They turned in out-standing performances of the day as they broke up almost every Branford scoring threat.

Dunster's first-half goal surprised everyone, particularly Branford. The ball had been in Dunster's territory for ten solid minutes as only the wet going and spectacular plays by the fullbacks prevented a Branford score.

But somehow Dunster left half Zoltan Soos got the ball on the outside and dribbled all the way down the field before Branford recovered from the shock. He then crossed the ball nicely to Alden Brisco who shot it past the Branford goalie.

Steve Anthony scored the other Dunster goal in the last seconds of play in the second half. It came on a direct shot that slithered into the nets as the goalie lost his footing in the mud.

Yale did manage to salvage a victory in the other intra-mural soccer contest. However, Adams was short three men as they lost to Saybrook, 5-2.