Crimson, N.Y. Track Teams Vie in Briggs

Harvard and Manhattan, two giants of Eastern track, will settle their quarrels in Briggs Cage this afternoon at 1 p.m.

The meet promises to be extremely close in both total scores and individual races. Only in a few events does one team have a clear superiority over the other.

Both squads will be near will-strength, Harvard missing only pole-vaulter Jay Mahaney who was injured Thursday landing in the Cage pit.

According to captain Mark Mullin, the Crimson is "definitely up" for their New York rivals. The meet concludes prevacation competition and presents the best opportunity so far for the squad to demonstrate its true strength.

Coach Bill McCurdy plans to juggle his top three distance men, Mullin, Eddie Meehan, and Ed Hamlin. Manhattan's 1961 2-mile relay team set a world's indoor record of 7 min. 32.8 sec. and has two men returning from it. The relay will be the final event and may decide the battle.

The Crimson's next competition will be in the Knights of Columbus meet January 13. Ivy competition starts February 9 against Dartmouth.