Communists May Now Speak on Campuses of N.Y.C. Colleges

Communists may now speak on the campuses of New York City colleges, as a result of a new ruling by the Administrative Council of the City University of New York.

The five-man council on Saturday reversed its decision of Oc. 26 which declared it illegal for known American Communists to use the facilities of municipal colleges in New York.

Under the new ruling the administrations of the various colleges are again free to approve or revoke invitations to members of the Communist party.

Cites Bar Committee

The Administrative Council cited as grounds for its change of position a report of the Committee on the Bill of Rights of the New York City Bar Association.

The discredited Oct. 26 ruling had been a response to the Oct. 11 cancellation by the president of Queens College of a student invitation to Benjamin L. Davis, secretary of the American Communist Party. The new ruling does not affect the Queens College action beyond reestablishing the legality of an alternate course.

Both the ban on Davis and the Council's original position had been protested by student walk-outs, and faculty petitions in New York colleges.