Swimmers Top Navy, 50-45

By Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

In a hotly contested meet at Annapolis last Saturday, the varsity swimming team edged Navy, 50-45. Four pool records fell in the course of the meet, and Bill Zentgraf added a new Harvard record to the books with a 2:05.1 clocking in the 220 yard freestyle.

Captain Bob Kaufmann set pool marks in both sprints. In the 50 yard freestyle, his time of 22.0 was only a tenth of a second off Bruce Hunter's Harvard mark, while in the 100 he turned in a time of 49.0, less than a half second slower than Hunter's former National record. Sophomore Dennis Hunter in the 50 and Zentgraf in the 10 added second place finishes behind Kaufmann to complete Crimson sweeps of the events.

John Pringle, the most versatile man on the squad, turned in an amazing performance in the 200 yard individual medley to shatter the fourth pool record of the day. His time of 2:04.5 was only six tenths of a second behind Kaufmann's Harvard mark, and nearly a second better than the existing Harvard pool best.

Swimming the 200 yard backstroke for the first time in competition--he is normally a breaststroker--Pringle added his second victory of the day as he outclassed his Navy competition for a winning time of 2:11.0.

Freddy Elizalde and Amos Coffman finished one-two in the 200 yard butterfly for the Crimson, to account for the only remaining first for the varsity. Elizalde's winning time of 2:09.6 was about three seconds slower than the Harvard mark he set 'who years ago.

The only heartbreaker for the Crimson came in the 200 yard breaststroke, where Navy ace Don Gillin edged out newcomer Bill Chadsey by a hair to claim first place in a time of 2:22.3.

Navy also took firsts in the diving, the 440-yard freestyle, and both relays.