Togolese, Journalists Visit Crimson

Fourty-five high school newspaper editor and the President of the National Assembly of Togo were among the visit to the CRIMSON last night. The student journalists from public and private schools in the Northeast are attending the University's Daily's sixth annual Scholastic Journalism Conference, which continues this morning.

The students will meet today in seminars with CRIMSON editors who will discuss make-up and layout, relations with faculty and administration, editorial writing sports writing, and news reporting. At noon they will attend a luncheon at the CRIMSON building with Louis Lyons, Curator of the Nieman Foundation, and General Nieman Fellows, professional Journalists who are spending a year at Harvard.

Last night the school editors, returned from a banquet at the Union, found Jonathan Savi de Tove (above, right), Togolese Assembly President, and his party visiting with members of the CRIMSON staff. Tove, touring the country with other Parliamentary representatives, addressed the students briefly, extending the greetings of his country and an invitation to visit Africa.

Yesterday the Assembly President, who is also Ambassador to Germany, toured the University and met with students in Quincy House.

At the dinner the high school journalists heard speeches by three CRIMSON executives. Joseph L. Featherstone '62, Editorial Chairman, described the formulation and presentation of editorial policy; Michael S. Lottman '61-4, Managing Editor, presented some of the aims and concerns that school papers ought to have; and Robert E. Smith '62, President, offered a sketch of CRIMSON lore and history.