Varsity Five Favored In Close Ivy Battle Against Dartmouth

By Steven V. Roberts

With a chance to show that its fine play of last weekend was not a mistake, the Crimson basketball team will face Dartmouth at the IAB tonight.

Since the Crimson's 2-5 league record is but one game behind the Green's 3-4 mark, a win tonight would move Harvard a big step closer to a first division finish.

Starting for the Crimson, as they try to reverse the outcome of the Jan. 4 game, which Dartmouth won 63-61, will be Pete Kelley and Gary Borchard at forwards, Bill Danner at center, and Joe Deering and Bob Bowditch at guards.

Kelley, the freshman team's leading scorer last season, tallied 23 points against Cornell last week, and also led the team in rebounds. But especially in the Cornell game, Kelley gave up the ball more frequently to teammates who had better shots at the basket.

Borchard Sparks Offense

Borchard, who has been the team's leading point-maker all season, scored 28 points in the two games and is also doing more rebounding, mainly under the defensive boards, where it is most needed. Center Danner, though not scoring quite as much as expected, has been playing fine defensive ball, and held Cornell's John Petry to but five points in the first half.

In the backcourt, Deering hit 14 of 19 shots from the floor against the Lions and Big Red, and brought his season percentage to 52 per cent. Captain Bowditch is just behind him at 48 per cent, with many of his baskets coming off the Crimson's revitalized fast break.

For Dartmouth, the man to watch is big George Ramming (6 ft., 5 in., 235 lbs.) who does a lot of the scoring and most of the rebounding. The cornermen are 6 ft., 6 in. Dan Berry and 6 ft., 4 in. Sam Barton.