Quaker Quintet Trounces Crimson Varsity, 95-58

It was a and Saturday night for the varsity basketball team as Penn rolled up its highest score of the season in downing the Crimson 95 to 58 at the I.A.B. The beating, coupled with Friday's loss to Princeton, dropped Harvard back into the Ivy collar with a 8-8 record.

Penn broke away for six straight points in the opening minutes as the Quakers' Rid Amira popped in three jump shots. Fast breaks by the Crimson's Bob Bowditch and Joe Deering brought the varsity to within two points of Penn at 14-16, the closest they came all night.

From then on it was all Penn. The Quakers picked up stray Crimson passes and drove through a weak sone to build up a half-time lead of 39 to 24.

Wideman Stare for Penn

In the second half the varsity was paralyzed. Penn worked the ball under-neath the basket for easy lay-ups while Crimson players looked on helplessly. The man they couldn't stop was sophomore star John Wideman, who pulled down 13 rebounds and finished with 21 points, high for the evening.

Forcing the Crimson to take long shots and miss, the Quakers rapidly pulled away, and at the beginning of the fourth period led by 68 to 39. Captain Bob Mlkvy, Bob Purdy, and Amira of Penn took turns connecting from the floor and the Quakers soon had the varsity by 40 points.

The sparse audience of about 300 began to call for some action, and action it got. A spree of loose balls sent players from both teams sprawling across the floor with the referees tooting away frantically. One referee finally picked up prostrate Quaker John Canzano by the seat of his pants and play was resumed. The coaches called in their third-stringers to finish up the chaotic contest.

When it was all over, Penn had four of its five starters in double figures. Amira, Mikvy, and John Graham followed Wideman with 18, 14, and 10 tallies respectively. Dennis Lynch was high for Harvard with 14, while Peter Kelley hit for 10 points. The rebounding figures also told the story: Penn out-bounded the Crimson, 61 to 29.