CEEB Offers New Training In Admissions

College to Co-Sponsor Summer Course Here

Thirty-five college admissions officers will study the techniques and philosophy of the admissions process this July at an institute sponsored by the University and the College Entrance Examination Board.

This is the first such program to be conducted in the United States, according to Dean K. Whitia, assistant professor of education, who will serve as director of the institute. If the program is successful, the CEEB may extend it to other areas of the country next year.

Besides Whitia, who is also Director of the Office of Tests at Harvard, the faculty will include John M. Duggan, Director of Guidance Services for the CEEB; S. A. Kendrick, Vice President for Examinations and Research of the CEEB; and B. Alden Thresher, Director of Admissions at M.I.T.

The institute, which will be housed in Radcliffe buildings, will run for three weeks, from July 10 until July 28, and will discuss such general problems as recruiting, the college image, and multiple applications. It will also cover such specific techniques as interpreting test scores, computing financial aid, predicting graders and making recommendations.

Estimated cost of the course, including room and board, will be $375, to be paid by each participant.

During the conference each admissions officer will have an opportunity to apply the techniques presented to data from his own institution. In addition, a staff member of the CEEB will assist each participant during the regular academic year.

Although the institute is sponsored by the CEEB, it will be open to personnel from non-member colleges. However, the first 20 places, out of the total of 35, will be reserved for member institutions.

Multiple choice tests, which the CEEB employs extensively, have recently been criticized in Harper's as an inadequate measure of academic promise.