Ghana's Envoy Supports African One-Party Rule

By Ronald J. Greene

Ghana's ambassador to the U.N. predicted last night that the development single-party system is nearly inevitable in most African nations. Speaking at Law School Forum, H. E. Alex Quaison-Sackey declared that the "general tendency in Africa is toward the emergence of strong parties."

During the question period, however, the ambassador stated that the single-party system would not leave Africa in danger of Communist subversion. "African are very jealous of their independence," and will not allow any form of control," he declared.

Another member of the panel, Eliot Berg, instructor in Economics, replied that advisers would be thrown out straight" if they tried to force their of government on the African, even portedly pro-Communist Guinea.

Speaking on the topic, "What is the for a Democratic Africa," Quaison-Sackey maintained that the concept of "Loyal Opposition" is alien to Africa. British of `Loyal Opposition' exist in Africa," he explained, the inability of opposition to get their own way in Parliament brings about frustration which to make such parties adopt extra- methods and thus become ."

single-party system, Quaison-Sackey maintained, is not undemocratic. "The of the governed cannot but paramount," and any government on popular support is by democratic, he declared.

at the voting restrictions on Negroes in the U.S. he stated even America could not be called democratic" since "the vote has withheld from a certain number of ."

agreed with the Ambassador's of African democracy, although he express concern over the danger in certain aspects of the one-party . Such organization, he maintained, lead to "confusion between party and state loyalty," and a stifling of all criticism.

his prepared statement, Quaison-Sackey also emphasized African national not European `benevolence," was for the development of institutions in Africa. Africans were granted the suffrage under "extreme pressure," he declared.