Crimson Will Face Elis In Final Hockey Contest

By James R. Ullyot

The Harvard hockey team, this year's Ivy champion, will try to add frosting to the cake when it takes on Yale in the final game of the season tonight at Ingalls Rink in New Haven at 8:30 p.m.

A sellout throng is expected to view the game, which, if the Crimson wins, would leave the varsity with a perfect League record of ten straight wins, and an overall season record of 19 wins, 4 losses, and a tie. The 19 wins would be the Crimson's second highest total of victories in its hockey history--second only to the 21-5-0 record of the 1956-57 team.

A win would also give the varsity its 36th victory in the 61-year-old Harvard-Yale hockey series. Yale has won 19 times; there have been six ties. Most of the 5,000 people who saw the Crimson beat Yale in the Boston Arena 0 to 2, last Saturday night, rightfully expect the Harvard players to be drinking the annual post-Yale-game beers after a victory.

"Even though we've won the title, the season wouldn't be complete unless we beat Yale twice," Crimson coach Cooney Weiland said yesterday.

Unlike last year, when the Crimson sextet was minus a few men because of injuries, everybody is in good shape and ready, Weiland noted, adding, 'But if we go into the game too overconfident we're going to get knocked off. We can't fool around."

Weiland will start four of the five seniors. Captain and center Stew Forbes, right wing Dave Crosby, left wing Crocker Snow, and right defenseman Bob Anderson will lead off the action in their final game, aided by junior Dave Grannis at left defense.

Ted Ingalls, the other Crimson senior playing his last game, will flank center Tom Heintsman along with Dean Alpine on the third line.

The second line of Jim Dwinell, Bill Beckett, and Dave Morse will be intact to provide the scoring punch which has made it the team's highest scoring line this year with 67 points, (Dwinell leads the team in scoring with 67 points, followed by Morse with 26. Beckett, who was injured for part of the season, has scored 14 goals. Forbes is third in scoring with 20.)

Standout sophomores Dave Johnston and Harry Howell will share work at defense with Anderson and . Also expected to be used regularly are forwards Gerry Jorgenson and either Chris Norris or Tim Taylor.

Weiland yesterday called this year's team "the best two-way team" he has ever coached in his 11 years here, praising the team for its overall strength on both offense and defense.