Columbia Begins Expansion Drive

Columbia University announced Saturday a six-year, $68 million development plan for building expansion and for substantial increases in all faculty salaries.

According to the New York Times, Grayson Kirk, president of the university, said the drive will attempt "to adapt the institution to the demands of a society--and a world--in the midst of cataclysmic change."

"We seek more funds that we may contribute more to the future," he added.

As a result of the program the number of students attending Columbia College will increase from 2,500 to between 3,500 and 4,000 "within the shortest possible time." The proposed increase is based on "the judgment of the faculty of the college that the college need not remain small."

Included also in the plan is a proposal for faculty salaries ranging from $7,000 for instructors to $30,000 for full professors. Columbia now pays its teachers from $5,500 to $22,500.

In addition to three dormitories for married students, Columbia will build three undergraduate dormitories, two for men and one for women. They will cost nearly $22 million.

The expansion plans also include a new gymnasium, a building for the Graduate School of Business, an International Studies Center, and an Arts Center designed in collaboration with the Lincoln Center for Performing Arts.