Baseball, Lightweight Crew, Track Teams Win

Trackmen Beat Army, 76 1/2-63 1/2

WEST POINT, N.Y., April 15--The Harvard track team beat Army today, 76 1/2-63 1/2 but nobody was very happy about it. Although six meet records were broken, performances were generally poor, and the team returned home somewhat discouraged, and feeling that there was a lot of work to be done before the Princeton meet on April 29.

The team, still recovering from their spring training trip to Puerto Rico, did not find the weather conducive to good performances. It was a cold, very windy day, and the runners were especially affected. Five of the six meet records which fell were in field events.

Stan Doten started the day by winning the hammer throw with a toss of 191 feet, 7 inches, which broke his own meet record by nearly ten feet. Ed Bailey of Harvard was second. In the javelin throw, the first three men were all over the existing meet record. John Ahearn of Army won the event with a throw of 198 feet, followed by Tom Corbin (191 ft., 3 in.), Army's only other record in the field events came in the high jump, where cadet Gene LaBorne cleared 6 ft., 3 1/2 in. Marty Beckwith was second (5 ft., 9 1/2 in.), and Tony Leness tied Army's Fred Gordon for third (5 ft., 7 1/2 in.).

The other two field records were set by Crimson ace Tom Biodgett in the pole vault and broad jump. Biodgett's pole vault of 13 ft. broke by six inches the meet record he set last year. The broad jump was a Crimson disappointment, aside from Blodgett's record leap of 22 ft., 11 in. "Zik" Asikiwe had a bad day, and Alan Albright, although he qualified for the finals, and although he was the most consistent Crimson jumper throughout the day, was unable to squeeze out the few extra inches necessary to place.

The shot-put was won by Rick DeLone at 51 ft., 7 in. Highly touted cadets Seay and Clements finished behind him. The discus was a Crimson sweep by John Bronstein (152 ft., 6 1/2 in.), Loren Clayman (146 ft., 8 in.) and Stan Doten (139 ft., 5 in.).

Blodgett, who finished the day with 20 points, won the low hurdles in 26.6. Hatch finished second. Jed Fitzgerald won the two mile run, and Mark Mullin, who was in third place at the start of the last lap, kicked away from Army's John Jones to take second.

The sixth record of the day was set by Army's mile relay team, which, helped by a blistering 48.0 second leg by Joe Almaguer, ran the distance in 3:18.