Heavyweight Crew Opens Season Against Syracuse

By Michael Churchill

It will be an entirely revamped Crimson eight which begins the heavyweight crew season this afternoon on the Charles River against Syracuse and Brown.

For the first time in his college career, captain Perry Boyden will not be stroking a crew. The highly acclaimed oarsman was moved into the six seat in a shakeup Wednesday that saw senior Dana Whitten stroking the varsity.

The shift "infused a lot of new enthusiasm" into the shell, according to Boyden, who said he was pleased with it. Coach Harvey Love, who had earlier said switching Boyden out of stroke would be done only if the crew's difficulties became drastic, was also pleased with the new lineup, and reported that the oarsmen finally "look like they have some get up and go."

The new combination has not eliminated the Crimson's lineup problems, however Yesterday John Higginson one of the few returning lettermen came down with an bug and could not work out. Doctors will not know if he can row at number two until this morning, but if not, Art Holcombe will move up from the J.V.

One of the more remarkable aspects of the combination going into the race today is the absence of Ken Gregg, a fixture at the five seat for two years, who will be rowing with the junior varsity. The coxswain will be senior Jim Rosenstein, due to an illness which kept Bob Goodwin from practice the last two weeks.

Syracuse Has inexperienced Boat

Syracuse claims to have, like the Crimson, an inexperienced squad, with sophomores in the stern three. It is, however, a big one, averaging 187 pounds. The boat has had plenty of practice, getting in more mileage than usual, according to the coach.

Brown is a newcomer to the Crimson schedule, having just started rowing several years ago. Last year it was very successful at the shorter Henley distance races, but may have trouble over the mile and three-quarters course.

The Crimson races will not be the only ones on the Charles this afternoon, as spectators can watch M.I.T. take on Columbia and B.U. The two regattas will be run alternately over the Charles River Basin course, which ends just below the M.I.T. boathouse and the Cottage Farm Bridge. The races, run at half hour intervals, begin at 3:30 p.m. and culminate with the Crimson varsity race at 6 p.m.

Syracuse Has inexperienced Boat