Bundy Denies He Talked Kennedy Into Supporting English Diplomas

By Steven V. Roberts

McGeorge Bundy, who according to a current story has still left President Kennedy some "residual powers," yesterday denied a New York Times story sporting that he had convinced the President to support the language change the College's diplomas.

Contacted in Washington, Bundy said of the Great Diploma Incident that he could remember "somebody talking about it to the President one day," but nothing specific as to what was said.

When asked if he personally had ever raised the issue with Kennedy, Bundy recalled only "a little light banter around the President's office" about the subject, and nothing of "what any of us said about it."

Kennedy, according to the Times, is considered something of a traditionalist by his associates," and at first opposed the idea of the change from Latin to English. Bundy, however, "convinced the President that the change would be good" because "all students understand English," the Times stated.

As to his personal view, Bundy noted "I was still Dean of the Faculty at the time of the decision. I could hardly oppose the change now." With Kennedy officially known to support the change, the Board of Overseers informally voted two to one in favor of President Pusey's plan, including the reconsideration next year.

During the telephone interview, Bundy scoffingly asked the CRIMSON: "Are you guys still in business?" In a fit of self-control, the CRIMSON refrained from asking Bundy the same question.