Fellows Refuse to Pass Proposed Arts Building

The Corporation has refused to approve the Visual Arts Center, pending a review of the building's costs.

Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the Graduate School of Design, will study LeCorbusier's preliminary sketches to determine for the Corporation whether construction estimates at reasonable.

At its last meeting, the Corporation examined the preliminary drawings, which give a rough idea of the building's cost, and felt that the estimates received for construction of the Center were too high.

Sert, a partner in Sert, Jackson & Gourley, American representatives for LeCorbusier, will also determine how the cost of the building can be reduced.

L. Gard Wiggins, Administrative Vice-President, said that he doubted that Sert would be able to report to the President and Fellows at their next meeting, June 5. The Corporation will meet briefly Commencement week and then adjourn for the summer.

Approval Not Expected Before Fall

It seems probable that the Corporation will not give approval for the Center plans until the fall. However, Wiggins said that the delay does not necessarily mean that the building would not be ready on schedule--fall, 1962.

In October, 1959, the University released an early estimate of $1.5 million for the Visual Arts Center, the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Carpenter. That preliminary estimate is now considered unrealistic.

Sert met Le Corbusier in New York City last month to discuss the French architect's plans and then presented the drawings to the Corporation a week ago.

There was no comment from the Administration on the Corporation's reaction to the artistic and architectural features of LeCorbusier's drawings. Informants close to the project have said that the building will be unusual and controversial.

Said one official who has seen the plans: "It sure ain't Georgian."