Grad School of Design Will Begin Fund Drive To Improve Facilities

The Graduate School of Design will launch a major fund raising campaign next fall, Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the Faculty of Design, revenled yesterday.

Sert said that the campaign might result in the construction of a completely new building on the site of Hunt Hall, behind Memorial Church.

Although the goal of the drive is not yet definite, the School has already begun preliminary projects such as alumni screening and investigations to determine which existing facilities need replacement.

Sert explained that tearing down Hunt Hall was a definite possibility because the building is "very wasteful" from the point of view of space. He said the interior of Hunt resembles "a big lobby."

Besides the replacement or resovation of Hunt, campaign money would cover increases in scholarships and faculty salaries, as well as new equipment and books for the School's library. The School is "is a much better financial situation" than it was ten years ago, but it has needed money "for a long time," Sert said. Until recently faculty salaries have been "appalling," he added.

Although the School has approximately doubied its budget is the past eight years, President Pusey noted that it is still "the unit of the University most desperately is need of funds."

Sert said that as yet no money has been collected for the campaign.