Lacrosse Team Pins 13-2 Defeat on Tufts In Crimson Romp

By Peter A. Derow, Special to the CRIMSON

MEDFORD, May 3--Playing on a cold, soggy field, the varsity lacrosse team outpassed, outmaneuvered and outscored everything Tufts threw against them this afternoon to notch its tenth victory in as many starts. The score at the final gun read Crimson 13, Jumbos 2.

Halfway through the last quarter with the score 12-1, Tim Ring, longtime Jumbo lacrosse coach commented, "This is the best team I've seen in two years, better than last year's Williams team. And Bruce Munro's done a great job putting them together."

Hal Louchheim, starting at midfield with captain Tadhg Sweeney and Joe Prahl, scored the opening goal of the ball-game at 3:28, driving toward the Jumbo crease and drilling the ball into the nets.

Before the period closed, crease-attack-man Dave Bohn tallied two, and Gil Bam-ford one making the score 4-0. In scoring his goal, Bamford picked up the ball at midfield and threw four Tufts defensemen as he headed toward the crease and Harvard's fourth tally.

'Doubleteam that Ballhandler'

Bohn and Woody Spruance combined efforts to produce three goals in six minutes of the second frame, making the score 7-0. The Jumbo defensemen had been playing hard, and, amid the cries of the coach to "put two men on the man with the ball. . . . doubleteam that ball-handler," they tried to exert more pressure on the Crimson attack only to watch midfielder Pete Sieglaff skirt past them and dump the ball into the nets.

The first Jumbo goal came at the end of the half on an over-the-shoulder-shot that richocheted off a Crimson defense-man's helmet into the nets.

Saturday the Crimson meets a hungry Princeton team in Tigerland.