Baseball Team Leaves 12 Runners In Losing League Game to B.C., 6-2

Rodgers Stars for Crimson

By Steven V. Roberts

Baseball statistics filling many books provide hours of wintertime reading for the dichard fan. Sometimes the statistics can be revealing.

For instance, the 12 men the Crimson baseball team left on base yesterday just about tells the whole story of its 6-2 loss to Boston College.

Harvard also got 12 hits, at least one in every inning but the eighth, but no more than two in any one inning. B.C., on the other hand, got only seven hits, but three of them plus two Crimson errors, came in the second inning when the Eagles scored three runs.

B.C. got two more hits in the third including Bernie Kilroy's two-run homer.

The loss put the Crimson two full games behind B.C., which is now 4-0 in the Greater Boston League. Harvard's overal record is 6-9, 2-2 in the GBL. Tomorrow the Crimson will play M.I.T. at 3 p.m. at Soldiers Field in a make-up of a postponed game.

The day was not without its heroes for the Crimson. Foremost was Billy Rodgers, who started the season at third base but has been playing right field of late.

Rodgers Srores Twice

Rodgers made three hits, scored both runs, and took an extra-base hit away from B.C. shortstop Bill Cunis with a one-handed catch while crashing into the rightfield fence.

The second hero was Dave Larkin, who pitched well enough to win most games. He allowed but two hits and one run after Kilroy's blast in the third and hit a run-scoring double. He also gave up only two walks in pitching the full nine distance.