Students to Produce Four Plays In Repertory at Loeb Theatre

A group of four Harvard undergraduates will manage and produce a series of four plays this summer in the new Loeb Drama Center. Under the direction of John D. Hancock '61 the group opens Wednesday night at 8 p.m. with Shakespeare's As you Like It.

Heading the cast for this first show will be Jana Quigley, who appeared off-Broadway this season in Congreve's Love for Love and in the Harvard production of Caucasian Chalk Circle.

While As You Like It continues nightly except Monday until July 10, rehearsals will be underway for the second production, Jean Anouilh's Antigone, which opens July 12. For its third presentation, the Harvard Summer Players have invited Joseph Everingham, Director of Drama at MIT, to direct George Bernard Shaw's Missal lance. It will open July 26.

Try-outs and interviews for both Misalliance and Antigons--open to Summer School students and faculty--will be held Thursday at the Loeb, 64 Brattle St.

August 10 the group will stage the American premiere of Bert Brecht's A Man's A Man, translated by Eric Bentley. Hancock, who worked with Bentley last fall on Caucasion Chalk circle, will direct the Brecht play this summer.

The repertory company that will occupy the air-conditioned Loeb was assembled from hundreds of applicants auditioning at colleges throughout the East, including the Yale School of Drama, Princeton, Columbia, Sarah Lawrence, and Boston University, as well as Harvard.

According to Ian Strasfogel '61, set designer for the players. "There are some openings for actors and actresses among Summer School faculty and students, and many more opportunities for those interested in working on sets, lighting, costumes, and publicity. Charles W. Hayford '63, President of the Harvard Dramatic Club and producer of the summer group, and Joel F. Henning '61, former HDC president, complete the quartet working here for the summer.

The Harvard Opera Guild will present Offenbach's Orpheus in Hades in the Agasiz Theatre at Radcliffe, August 3-5, 10-12.