Radcliffe Expands New Institute

A program for Resident Fellows of the Radcliffe Institute for Independent Study will begin in the fall of 1962, Miss Constance E. Smith, Director, has announced. The program, one of several in the newly formed Radcliffe Institute, is designed for outstanding scholars, artists or professional women who can devote full time to their work. As such, it differs from the two programs already in operation which are intended primarily for married women with family commitments who can resume their studies only on a part-time basis. It is assumed that a typical Resident Fellow will use her time at the Institute to work on a long-range research or artistic project within her scope of authority, a project she may not previously have had the time to develop.

Miss Smith expected that a small number of women will be invited to join the Institute in its first year as Resident Fellows. These women may come from any part of the world and will be given full access to the resources of the University as well as opportunities to work with colleagues concerned with their own areas of study.

According to Miss Smith, it is hoped that some women scholars and teachers from other universities may choose to spend their sabbatical years at the Institute and also that women from other professions will be interested in applying for appointment.

The Institutute will provide study facilities for its Resident Fellows and stipends commensurate with the professional standing of the applicant.

Earlier this month the Institute's group of 20 part-time scholars convened at an informal dinner meeting to inaugurate Radcliffe's experimental program. Among the first group of part-time scholars appointed in June are three historians, a lawyer, a musician, a philosopher, two poets, two painters, specialists in English, Swedish and Spanish literature, an art historian, a political scientist, an archaeologist and an educational psychologist. They range in age from the late twenties to the late fifties. Six of the scholars hold the A.M. degree, while seven have earned the Ph.D. as well. The rest have done graduate study except for one who has no formal college training.

The Institute for Independent Study was established in November 1960 to offer a complement to orthodox higher education through various programs tailored to suit the variegated pattern of women's lives.