Bunting Names Masters For New 'Cliffe Houses

President Mary I. Bunting announced today the appointments of the first House Masters for the newly created Radcliffe Houses. They are: Harold Martin, director of General Education A and lecturer on Comparative Literature; David C. McClelland, professor of Psychology and chairman of the staff Center for Research in Personality; and Kenneth V. Thimann, professor Biology.

The new masters and their wives will act as non-resident advisors for North House (Holmes, Moors, and Comstock halls), South House (Bertram, Bernard and Briggs Halls), and East House (Cabot, Whitman, Eliot and the three cooperative Houses), respectively.

"The appointment of the first House Masters," Mrs. Bunting said, "marks a significant step in bringing Radcliffe's own house plan into being and one which will immeaurably help Radcliffe undergraduate meet more of the faculty informally."

Besides developing extracurricular programs to bring more faculty and graduate students to Radcliffe, the masters will help plan the fourth House for which Radcliffe is currently seeking funds.

Harold C. Martin is a graduate of Hartwick College, Oneonta, N. Y. and received his Ph.D at Harvard in 1954. He is a member of both the Radcliffe and Harvard Committees one Admissions and Scholarships, the Committee on Teaching as a Career, the Bureau of Study Counsel and the Board of Freshman Advisors at Harvard.

A well-known psychologist, Dr. McClelland was graduated from Wesleyan University in 1938 and received his Ph.D. from Yale in 1941. He holds honorary degrees from Harvard, Wesleyan and Mains (Johannes Gutenberg Universitat). Dr. McClelland is presently working on a project relating the need for achievement motivation to economic growth.

Dr. Thimann is vice chairman of the Institute for Research in experimental and Applied Botany, a Fellow of Eliot House and Chairman of the Maria Moors Cabot Foundation at Harvard. From 1946-1950 he was Director of the Harvard Biological Laboratories.